Monday, August 16, 2010

Guest Lecturer

I've recieved an invitation to teach at Jalalabad University! I am humbled and honored by the request. The invitation came from my friend Wahida, who is part of the English faculty. I am thinking that a weeklong intensive in English for Biology/Science might be good. I met many aspiring doctors and engineers last year. My Pashto is poor, but with a translator I am sure I can convey a lot.

I depart tomorrow at 4 pm. LA to Dubai, Dubai to Kabul, Kabul to Jalalabad. Praise be to Allah, I will not change planes in America.

I'm also planning to have my first prenatal checkup at the School of Midwifery at the National Hospital in Jalalabad. Afghanistan has one of the highest infant mortality rates in the world, and so a new women's healthcare education facility was built - i visited last year. Ironic that I should have an opportunity halfway across the world to obtain health care that I would have to wait for in America (my insurance will kick in sometime in September). It will be interesting to see what services are available, what information is prioritized.

No comments:

Post a Comment